If we want to try and improve the workplace and feedback members concerns we need stewards across all parts of the University.
THE ROLE OF A STEWARD INVOLVES:
- supporting and advising members on workplace issues
- representing members
- be the first and main point of contact for members with the union
- recruit new members
- work with members to establish an organised workplace
- support and advise members on workplace issues
- act as a spokesperson for the members they represent and for
- the branch
- represent members with the employer, dependent on their
- experience and confidence
- represent members within the branch committee
- be answerable to the members they represent
The benefits of becoming a steward include:
To help you with this role you will receive training and support, and will be part of a group of Officers and Stewards who support members at The University of Sheffield.
- opportunity to improve your communication and negotiation skills
- helping fellow members
- getting to know members from across the University
- being more informed, and involved in your union
If you are interested in becoming a steward please contact email@example.com.
With rising fuel costs and another cold winter looming many members on low income are worried about how they’re going to pay their winter fuel bills.
Help is on hand
‘There for You’ has set up a limited fund to help UNISON members on low income by way of a one-off payment of £40.
To apply visit unison.org.uk/thereforyou. Alternatively, call UNISONdirect on 0800 0857 857 or simply contact your UNISON branch office. Everyone that applies will receive a booklet giving information about other help that may be available and how to reduce your fuel costs in the future. The attached Q&A also provides further information.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 23 February 2016.
Dave Prentis has today been re-elected as General Secretary of UNISON, the UK’s largest public sector union.
You’ll have great fun, make new friends, visit fantastic places
and see some amazing scenery.
Down load application form. Closing date for applications 31 January 2016
“I really don’t know what I would have done without your help. It is really appreciated and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. P.S. I am so proud to be a member of UNISON”.
Registered charity no. 1023553/SCO38305
This year’s chosen local charity was the Cavendish Cancer Care. Members raised £52.20 from the raffle.
Cavendish Cancer Care 25th anniversary read more