If we want to try and improve the workplace and feedback members concerns we need stewards across all parts of the University.
THE ROLE OF A STEWARD INVOLVES:
- supporting and advising members on workplace issues
- representing members
- be the first and main point of contact for members with the union
- recruit new members
- work with members to establish an organised workplace
- support and advise members on workplace issues
- act as a spokesperson for the members they represent and for
- the branch
- represent members with the employer, dependent on their
- experience and confidence
- represent members within the branch committee
- be answerable to the members they represent
The benefits of becoming a steward include:
To help you with this role you will receive training and support, and will be part of a group of Officers and Stewards who support members at The University of Sheffield.
- opportunity to improve your communication and negotiation skills
- helping fellow members
- getting to know members from across the University
- being more informed, and involved in your union
If you are interested in becoming a steward please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.