BECOME A STEWARD
This is your chance to become a Steward and make a difference.
Workplace stewards are at the heart of our union. They are the first point of contact for our members in your local workplace, and they work to make your workplace a fairer and better place to work.
And we need more! We have vacancies in lots of areas at The University of Sheffield. As new ways of working are rolled out across all professional services in the University, we need stewards in as many areas as possible.
THE ROLE OF A STEWARD INVOLVES:
- Participating in a range of activities including organising, recruiting and representing UNISON members.
- Being involved in how the University of Sheffield UNISON branch is run.
- Being the first and main point of contact for members in your constituency.
- Supporting and advising members on workplace issues, both individual and collective.
- Acting as a spokesperson for the members in your constituency and informing and involving members in branch activities.
- You will receive facilities time in order to carry out your role
You will receive training and support from UNISON in order to carry out your role.
“But I don’t have the skills!”
Ever thought of becoming a steward but you’re worried you don’t have the right skill or the time? Don’t worry – you receive excellent training, plus paid time off work for your union duties.
Here are six common worries you may have about becoming a steward – and how you can overcome them.
I don’t do public speaking……but I do raise issues I am concerned about in team meetings at work.
I don’t do negotiation……but I did complain when my gas bill got too high, and I did sort out a better deal with the company.
I don’t do campaigning……but I did support my local library when it was threatened with closure.
I don’t do recruitment……but I do get my neighbours to support the local school
I don’t organise meetings……but I do organise outings and holidays with my friends and family
I don’t do representation……but I did go to the doctors with my partner to make sure they got their views across.
Sound like you? Your colleagues need you!
Shop Steward Nomination Form 2019